Monday – January 22, 2018

Work-Study Information


Work Study Update: 

Starting January 2nd, 2018, the JOBshop will no longer be managing the Work Study program. All questions should be directed towards the Financial Aid office at or 414-297-MATC.

If you are a faculty or staff member and need to advertise an open student worker job opportunity, please click the Student Worker Request form at the bottom of this page.

What is Federal Work-Study?

  • A Federal Work-Study (FWS) award on your Financial Aid Offer letter is an offer to get a part-time job through the Work-Study program. The number of hours you are able to work per week is calculated using the following formula:  Award amount divided by 16 weeks divided by hourly pay.
  • Work-Study is different from other types of financial aid because you do not receive Work-Study monies until you locate a job and begin working.
  • An ideal work-study position would be using the skills you are learning in your program at MATC.



Step 1

When completing your financial aid, make sure to select work-study.


Step 2

Award Notification:

  • You will know whether you have been awarded Federal Work-Study when you receive your financial aid award letter.
  • If your award letter does not include Federal Work Study and you are interested in the program, please contact the MATC Financial Aid Office at 414-297-6282 or via e-mail at
  • As long as you are enrolled in a minimum of six credits and qualify, you would be awarded work study funds IF you were to obtain a work study job.

Step 3

See available Work Study job postings by clicking the link above in the orange box. Once you review the job postings and find a one that you would like to apply to, contact the supervisor via their preferred method of contact for an interview. If hired, your supervisor will provide you with more information.



All student workers must watch a 16 minute new hire orientation video before starting work as a student worker. The orientation will cover procedures for submitting time records, work site expectations, college policies regarding student workers, and other related student worker information.

After finishing the video, you'll need to pass a ten question quiz with a 80% or higher. You can take the quiz multiple times if needed.

Student Worker orientation video

Orientation quiz (You will need to log in using your MATC log in and password)


Work location options:

ON CAMPUS Employment: Opportunities for employment on campus include positions in counseling areas, bookstore, Admissions, Registration, Financial Aid, math/science area, computer science area, student activities and the gym. Job duties may include peer tutoring, clerical work and data entry.

OFF CAMPUS Employment: Consider using your work-study dollars towards an internship experience.  MATC can partner with nonprofit organizations including hospitals, community centers, schools, and government offices to arrange off campus placements.  You must complete 1 full semester of on campus employment before you are eligible for off campus employment.

Contact the InternConnect Office to learn more about these opportunities at or 414-297-6967.


A very limited number of work-study positions may be available that are paid by the college for students not eligible for the Federal Work-Study program. These positions are listed on the same site as the work-study jobs but will have the word "Budgeted" in the title.


For Faculty or Staff

Student Worker Request Form

Supervisor Resources and FAQ