Thursday – February 21, 2019

Testing Services


The MATC Test Center (Assessment Department) provides a variety of testing services to support members of the MATC community; the college’s educational mission, vision and values; and the public in general. Our department is committed to fostering students’ successful transition to college, and improving the quality of testing and assessment across MATC. Our department also serves as a resource for faculty, students and the community through our exam and evaluation processing.


Test Center Policies

  • No cellphones or electronic devices are allowed to be on during testing.
  • Candidates must present the paid receipt for the required fees, and valid photo ID(s) before taking any test.
  • No food or beverages in the test rooms.
  • All personal belongings must be kept or stored in the designated areas.
  • No children or relatives of candidates are allowed to wait in the Test Center during testing.
  • No test scores are to be released over the phone or via email.

Office Hours (for Downtown Milwaukee Campus)

  • General Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. - 7 p.m.
  • Test Monitoring/Proctoring Hours:
    Monday – Wednesday, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
    Thursday, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    Friday, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

MATC Downtown Milwaukee Campus
Test Center – S Building, Room S215
700 West State Street, Milwaukee, WI 53211
Phone: 414-297-6233
Fax: 414-297-8152


For Other Campuses, contact:

Mequon Campus
5555 West Highland Road, Mequon, WI

Oak Creek Campus
6665 South Howell Avenue, Oak Creek, WI
414-571-4711 or 414-571-4631

West Allis Campus: 1200 South 71st Street, West Allis, WI
414-456-5492 or 414-456-5469



Tests Offered at Downtown Milwaukee Test Center

For Students Who Would Like to Take CLEP (College Level Examination Program) Tests for College Credits

Please contact Tammy Howard at or 414-297-6783.

For MATC Faculty, and Faculty and Students From Other Colleges (Test monitoring and proctoring)

The fee for proctoring tests and exams for students from other colleges is $25. Please call 414-297-8180, or email Lisa Meyers or D.G. Nguyen for further information.  

For Admitted MATC Students (Placement tests, Accuplacer re-tests and Make-up test monitoring)

Placement tests for foreign languages (French or Spanish): Students need to bring a Stormer Pass (student ID). The test score can be picked up by the student in person (ID required), or sent to the student by mail.

Students who take make-up tests must meet the deadline and know the last name of their instructor.

Accuplacer Re-test students must bring an authorization letter from the counselor. The test is free the second time; the third time fee is $15.

For Pre-Apprentice and School of Pre-College Education Candidates (Accuplacer, Mechanical and Spatial tests)

Accuplacer: Candidates register online at

For Pre-Apprentice candidates, the total fee is $20, and the ID is “Apprentice.”

Pre-College students can use their MATC ID number provided on their MATC application (available at the Welcome Center), or their Social Security Number as ID.

Students taking Accuplacer for other colleges need to pay $25.

Please call MATC at 414-297-6150 for further information. Also, Accuplacer Customer Service toll-free number: 1-866-607-5223; email:

Mechanical and Spatial tests: Pre-Apprentice candidates should contact the Test Center to schedule these tests. There is no fee for these tests if the candidate has taken the Accuplacer at our Test Center before. If the candidate didn’t take the Accuplacer at MATC, the fee is $10. The Accuplacer Re-test fee is $5 per test.

For Candidates Seeking GED Academic Screening Tests (Test for Adult Basic Education/TABE)

Candidates must be at least 18 years old or older. Register online at Call or come to the Test Center for any questions about TABE.

The fee is $10. Candidates must have a valid photo ID, fill out the application at the Welcome Center and pay the fee at the Cashier’s Office before taking the test.

For GED and PearsonVUE Candidates (actual GED tests, and tests for professionals seeking licensure/certificates)

GED tests include Reading Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, Mathematics, and Civics. Candidates must complete TABE, work with a Pre-College counselor, complete the required classes or workshops (750 workshop and GED registration) and get the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) form showing all the pre-college requirements they have completed. Candidates must attend a GED Registration Session at our Test Center to open a GED account and get the Center’s approval to take the actual GED tests later on.

PearsonVUE professionals must register with PearsonVUE directly. On the test day, candidates need to bring 2 valid IDs, one with a photo and a signature, the other must have a signature.

Civics and Health Tests

All GED and HSED candidates need to take Civics, which they can register for online (using their GED account) at

HSED candidates also need Health tests. Please call our Test Center to register for the Health test.

For National Testing Network (NTN) Candidates (Those interested in becoming Paramedics, Firefighters, Policemen and Policewomen)  

Please email Rachel Spencer or call 414-297-7716.

Accommodated Testing

Please contact Carla Eichelberger at 414-297-7847 or Heather Lorbiecki at 414-297-6962.

You also may contact MATC Accommodation Services for assistance: Cathy Bohte at 414-297-6245 or 414-297-6750, or visit Room C219 on the Downtown Milwaukee Campus.

Workshops and Registration Sessions at the Test Center

  • Accuplacer Workshop
  • GED Registration

Please contact our Test Center for further information.


How can I prepare for TABE?

Check libraries or online resources. Some useful links are:                         

How long is TABE? 

For TABE, usually an hour and a half to two hours.


How long is Accuplacer? 

For Accuplacer, unlimited time, but usually about two and a half hours.


How many years does my TABE score remain valid?

One year.

How can I prepare for GED tests?

Check libraries or online resources.

How can I prepare for Civics/Health tests?

For Civics preparation, go to:

For Health preparation, go to:

I failed the Civics test; when can I retake it?

You have to wait 30 days before you can retake the Civics test the second time.

You have to wait 60 days before you can retake the Civics test the third time.

I took the GED tests a while ago. How can I get my transcripts and credentials?

To order GED/HSED transcripts:

For employer/school verifications:

You also may call 1-800-768-8886 or 608-267-9245.

How can I prepare for Accuplacer?

Check libraries or online resources. Some useful links are:

There are Accuplacer workshops at our Test Center. Please call for further information.

How can I have my Accuplacer scores sent to my union/agency?

Fill out the Consent Form that is available at our Test Center.

Test takers who want to pick up the scores in person at the Test Center must present a valid photo ID.

No test scores are released over the phone or via email (see Test Center Policies).

Where is the Test Center located?

It is in the S Building, which is located at 700 West State Street, across the street from Police Administration Building in downtown Milwaukee. The Test Center is on the second floor, above the Welcome Center.

Where is the School of Pre-College Education Office?

It is on the Downtown Milwaukee Campus in Foundation Hall, Room FH210.

What is the DPI form? Why do I have to present it before I can register for GED tests?

The DPI form will be issued to you once you have completed the necessary coursework and the 750 workshop, and when you are ready for the GED registration.

I would like to take the GED and the Civics tests in Spanish. Whom should I contact?

Beginning April 1, 2017, you can register online for both the English and the Spanish GED and Civics tests. Contact our Test Center, or call 414-297-7923 or 414-297-8446, for further information.

What is the difference between GED and HSED?

If you have not completed high school and want to seek more education and/or improve your employability, you can take the General Educational Development (GED) tests, pass them, and receive a GED Certificate. Or, you may earn a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED). For more information, go to:

Both GED and HSED candidates need Civics tests. HSED candidates also need Health tests.

I took the ACT before; do I have to take the Accuplacer for college entry?

Please contact the Admissions Office at 414-297-6542.

What are the differences between ACT, CLEP, Accuplacer, SAT and other College Placement Tests (CPT)?

ACT (American College Testing) is a standardized testing for high school achievement and college admissions produced by ACT, a nonprofit testing organization. Skills tested include English, Reading (in Social Studies), Science, Mathematics and Writing (optional). For more information, visit

CLEP (College Level Examination Program) is a group of standardized tests created and tested by College Board to assess college knowledge in 36 subject areas, and provides a mechanism for earning college credits without taking college courses. These tests are useful for those who have obtained knowledge outside the classrooms (through independent study, job or military training and experiences, homeschooling), and for students schooled outside the U.S. For more information, visit

Accuplacer is a computer-based test that assesses reading comprehension, writing and math skills (arithmetic, elementary algebra and college-level math) for college entry or for apprenticeship. For more information, visit

SAT and SAT subject tests are standardized tests for college admissions. They are developed by ETS (Educational Testing Services) and administered by College Board. For more information, visit

College Placement Tests (CPTs) are used for placement purposes. Contact the Admissions Office for further information. For CPT prep, go to:


I don’t live near downtown Milwaukee. Are there any other MATC test centers? How can I contact these centers?

Following are the addresses and phone numbers of other MATC Test Centers:

Mequon Campus: 5555 West Highland Road, 262-238-2204

Oak Creek Campus: 6665 South Howell Avenue, 414-571-4711 or 414-571-4631

West Allis Campus: 1200 South 71st Street, 414-456-5492 or 414-456-5469