Monday – August 19, 2019
Milwaukee Area Technical College welcomes international students to our college. With four campuses to serve our students, MATC is the largest community-based technical college in Wisconsin. The International Admissions Office assists international students through the admissions process and continues to support them throughout their program.
Milwaukee Area Technical College
International Admissions Office
700 W. State St. Room S101
Milwaukee, WI 53233
MATC defines “international student” as someone who is studying on an F-1 visa. MATC is authorized under federal law to enroll international students. While MATC does offer English language training for students, it is not considered intensive. Therefore, MATC is unable to admit international students who require intensive English language training.
F-1 Visa International Student Admission Process
- July 1st - fall semester start
- November 1st - spring semester start
Steps to Apply:
Submit International Student Application and supplemental documents to MATC’s International Admissions Office. International students must be enrolled full time (12 credits) in an Associate Degree or Technical Diploma program.
Please note: Certain associate degree programs are unavailable to international students due to program demand, petition process requirement and waitlists. You will also need to submit the $30 application fee with your application.
If you are admitted, MATC will mail you an admission letter, I-20 and other MATC information. This will be mailed by regular mail (USPS) for free, unless you opt to pay the $80 mailing fee for express mail (FedEx).
Include official secondary school transcripts (and any post-secondary school transcripts) with application. Transcripts must be translated and evaluated ONLY by official agencies. Here is a list of a few agencies that may be used.
- ECE(Educational Credentials Evaluators)
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203
- Joseph Silny& Associates, Inc.
7101 SW 102 Ave.
Miami, FL 33173
- WES (World Education Services)
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274
- Foreign Credits Inc. (Evaluation and Translation)
29 E. Madison St., Suite 1005
Chicago, IL 60602
- ECE(Educational Credentials Evaluators)
Pay SEVIS I-901 Fee (FMJfee.com). Regulation requires all prospective students to pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Fee before the Department of State issues you a visa.
Follow your local U.S. Embassy (www.usembassy.gov) or Consular office instructions for obtaining the F-1 visa. An interview is required. Bring your MATC admission information, financial information, receipt of SEVIS I-901 payment and any other required documentation to the interview.
After your F-1 visa is approved, follow these steps:
• Make travel and living arrangements in the United States (MATC does not provide housing)
• You will be able to enter the country (U.S.) 30 days before the semester starts.
• You must report to the international admissions office within two weeks from arrival.
• Bring your original I-20, passport, F-1 visa and I-94.
• Activate your MATC account (https://slpwm1.matc.edu/pwm/public/ActivateUser)
• Complete the Online Orientation (https://orientation.matc.edu/)
• Register for classes; international students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
• Purchase and submit proof of comprehensive health insurance.
• Purchase your books and supplies.
Complete your English proficiency exams requirement
Students from the following areas are exempt from the English proficiency exam requirement:
• Antigua and Barbuda
• The Bahamas
• New Zealand
• St. Kitts and Nevis
• St. Lucia
• St. Vincent and the Grenadines
• Trinidad and Tobago
• United Kingdom
U.S. Government/College Resources
- I-94 Arrival and Departure Record (http://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home)
- SEVIS I-901 fee (https://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901)
- SEVIS Information Update Form (To report change of address, phone number, sponsor information, etc.)
- Transfer In Form (Students transferring to MATC will need to include this form with the international application)
- Concurrent Enrollment Form (Students wishing to be enrolled at MATC while concurrently enrolled at another SEVIS-approved school)
- International Student Insurance - Health Insurance (www.internationalstudentinsurance.com)
- Educational Credential Evaluators - Evaluations (www.ece.org/ece)
- International Institute of Wisconsin - Translations (www.iiwisconsin.org/index.html)
- Housing information can be found at the office of Student Life 414-297-6518, Room S303
- Child Care Services – Melissa Frankiewicz, 414-297-7880, email@example.com